Tuesday, January 11, 2011

iPhone + Verizon = A Bell That Cannot Be Un-Rung

So there you have it.

I’ve been a Verizon customer for many years, mostly because of their golden-handcuff approach to incentives.  (I have come to appreciate the reliabiltiy of the network)  I’ve compared over the years and the cost of changing always outweighs the cost of staying.  Funny how that works.

But, I have to say, that I have always felt manipulated; I resent it, but that’s the way it is, right?  It’s not like we’re in Japan and we can switch out our SIM card.

Now, consumers (we) have a new way to decide: I want an iPhone and I can compare and choose which carrier to use.  Maybe even Sprint or others who also rely on CDMA.  Very interesting.

They have even added one new feature AT&T's version lacks: The built-in ability to use it as a wireless hotspot and connect up to five additional devices.  The average consumer may not be sure how they will use this, but once its in their hands they will find ways. 

But alas the old model is still there.  HUGE punishment if you want to change your mind: Existing AT&T customers who want to switch carriers will need to purchase a new device -- and they'll face early termination fees of up to $325 to break an ongoing contract.  Not that Verizon is above similar policies.

That said, I’m optimistic about the long-term implications for consumers. More and more, we will question and demand more control over these purchases and not take for granted that the hardware and the software have to go together.

Source: CNNMoney: Verizon iPhone will go on sale Feb. 10 - Jan. 11, 2011 http://bit.ly/eIWRQm

Posted via email from ConsumerX: cXChuck's Stuff

No comments: